Thursday, August 22, 2013

Peking duck - You're doing it wrong

So for lunch today, I decided to check out Tasty Thursdays at City Hall. Summer's almost over and I haven't even gone once. After checking out all the different food vendors, I eventually settled on Fusia Dog. I'll admit the shorter line had something to do with it, but it was mostly the promise of Peking Duck.


Okay supporters of fusion cuisine. This is where you and I need to have a chat. Please. Sit down. And TAKE NOTES.

In general, you like to take ethnic food and bastardize the crap out of it. And in general, I humour you and your fusion crap. But let's get things rightfully clear here.  If you say there's Peking duck in something, there better damned well be.


Peking duck isn't just bbq'd duck. It MUST have crispy skin. When you have Peking duck, you are served a slice of crispy skin with a bit of meat, slivers of scallions and hoisin sauce on the puffy bread-like wrapper. Crispy skin is the main event. Otherwise, it's just duck. CRISPY SKIN!!

So...when you serve me this...for $6...and call it a Peking Duck quesadilla, I will naturally be PRETTY FRICKING TICKED OFF!!!

Sure, flavours were good. But I bought this under the pretense that I was getting Peking duck. This is either a lie or an insult. Make your choice. The end result is the same.

My recommendation is that you call it Chinese style duck quesadilla or something like that. If you say "Peking" I better be getting crispy skin in there.  HAVE I MADE MYSELF CLEAR?!?!

Oh...and one more thing. If you're going to charge me $6, I expect to see SLICES of duck. It doesn't have to be a lot, but the remnant scraps from the cutting board is just a big "F U" to any paying customer.


All in all, not a good day for FoodPr0n. =(

No comments:

Post a Comment